Contact | Terms and conditions | © copyright

Expatriate Management
Working in France
Working in Iceland
Working in Italy
EU citizens
Non-EU citizens
Types of Visas
Health Care System
Education System
Professional Recognition
Housing in Italy
Taxes & Work Regime
Foreign Investment
Application forms
Useful links
Working in Latvia
Working in Macedonia
Working in Portugal
Working in Romania
Working in Spain
Working in Croatia
Working in Argentina
Working in Brazil
Working in Chile
Working in Japan
Working in Mexico
About consulting
Useful weblinks
Non-EU citizens who stay in Italy for a period exceeding three months with Voluntary Registration

Non-EU citizens legally present in Italy have access to the facilities of the Italian National Health Service in different ways depending on the reason for living.

Foreigners residing legally in Italy for a period exceeding three months, are required to insure themselves against sickness, accident and maternity, by private insurance policy or with voluntary enrollment in the Italian Health Service.

The eligible citizens to voluntarily enroll in the National Health Service are:
- students and au pairs for periods of less than three months;
- over 65 reunited in Italy by sons;
- holders of residence permits for elective residence and unemployed, religious personnel, the diplomatic and consular personnel and all other categories identified by exclusion than those who are entitled to mandatory enrollment.

The ineligible citizens to voluntarily enrolled are foreigners holding a residence permit for medical treatment and for tourism.

How and where to go for voluntary enrollment in the Italian Health Service?
Non-EU citizens with valid residence permit can go to the Local Health Units ASL (Italian only) of the City of registered residence, or if not yet resident, domicile indicated in the actual permit. Health care is extended to dependent family members residing legally in Italy.
The voluntary registration take place upon the payment of a yearly flat contribution calculated according to revenue and not be split.

Documents to display, if required:
- residence permit;
- passport with visa;
- Italian tax identification number;
- certificate of residence;
- A certificate of family status if you want to get the benefits for your spouse or children;

Duration of the National Health Service registration
The health card has the same duration of the residence permit.

How to access to health care
After registration, the citizen choose a general practitioners and, if he has children under six years old, a pediatrician, to which he can ask for free if needed. To citizen and his every family member will be assigned a number of public health and receive a health card valid for one year which must be constantly renewed, and if you lose or change an address, you must request a new one.
Once we receive the medical card will be shown at public health facility or agreement to require the cures they need.
The service is direct and therefore nothing is due, except the payment of any ticket that is not refundable.
Brochure about Italian Health Service published on Ministry of Health website in Italian, Albanian, Arabic, Chinese, French, English, Romanian, Spanish and Ukrainian languages

consulting GmbH

+43 (1) 89 22 544
+43 (1) 30 88 133

+43 (1) 30 88 144