Contact | Terms and conditions | © copyright

Expatriate Management
Working in France
Working in Iceland
Working in Italy
Working in Latvia
Working in Macedonia
Working in Portugal
European Union members and other special countries
Other citizens
Arriving in Portugal to Work
Types of Visas
Health Care System
Work regime
Education System
Professional Recognition
Foreign investment
Housing in Portugal
Do you need support?
Useful links
Working in Romania
Working in Spain
Working in Croatia
Working in Argentina
Working in Brazil
Working in Chile
Working in Japan
Working in Mexico
About consulting
Useful weblinks
Work regime

Working for an Employer

If the employee is contracted either full-time or part-time to a multinational company, Portuguese company or foreign company operating in Portugal then, Social Security contributions will be deducted automatically from the monthly salary depending on what its earned. The employer usually has to match this by paying 22, 75%* while the employee pays 11%*.

Being Self-employed

Foreigners who are self-employed are responsible for paying their own Social Security contributions. These can be paid at the Post Office or via the ATM machines. A book of green receipts - Model Nš 6 called "Caderneta de Recibos Verdes" will be issued for a small fee by the local tax office in the area of residence.

Foreigners who are self-employed are also responsible for deducting Income Tax deductions (IRS) currently at 23%* and Value Added Tax (VAT), currently at 29, 6%*, in the Green Receipts book.

*October 2011

You can check the Rights and Obligations at the Social Security website and at the Public Finance Portal.
consulting GmbH

+43 (1) 89 22 544
+43 (1) 30 88 133

+43 (1) 30 88 144