looking beyond borders...
Arriving in Portugal to Work
Every worker in Portugal must contribute to Social Security and pay taxes. On arrival in Portugal a number of official tasks must be carried out, which are:
1. Sign up in Social Security. Whether the applicant is contracted full- or part-time for a company, or is self-employed they must pay Social Security contributions. You have to go to a Social Security office near your residence area.
2. Get a Tax Identification Number which is obtained from the local Tax Office in the area of your residence.
You need to take the following documents:
1. Passport or Identity Card;
2. Authorized photocopies of tax returns for 3 years from the previous country of residence;
3. National Insurance Number (or similar) from country of origin;
A temporary slip is issued and the tax number is sent to the registered home address within a few weeks.
Check out the form on the Social Security web site:
- Social Security Registry (in Portuguese)
- Social Security Registry explained
+43 (1) 89 22 544
+43 (1) 30 88 133
+43 (1) 30 88 144