Contact | Terms and conditions | © copyright

Expatriate Management
Working in France
Working in Iceland
Working in Italy
Working in Latvia
Working in Macedonia
Working in Portugal
European Union members and other special countries
Other citizens
Arriving in Portugal to Work
Types of Visas
Health Care System
Work regime
Education System
Professional Recognition
Foreign investment
Housing in Portugal
Do you need support?
Useful links
Working in Romania
Working in Spain
Working in Croatia
Working in Argentina
Working in Brazil
Working in Chile
Working in Japan
Working in Mexico
About consulting
Useful weblinks
Other citizens

Nationals from non-EU member countries do need a special visa to work or study in Portugal for longer than 90 days. These visas may be applied for at the local Portuguese consulates or embassy.

What to do?

When you arrive in Portugal in order to work in the country, you must go to an Immigration Office to make your registration and fill all the forms. You will need the following documents:

1. Application in correct form;
2. 2 identical photographs, passport size, in color and in white plain background with a good quality;
3. Passport or a valid identification card;
4. A valid Residence Visa;
5. Documents proving that the applicant possesses sufficient income (the proof of the daily value 40 Euros in cash, "Travelers checks" or internationally accepted credit cards);
6. Documents related to guarantee accommodation;
7. Authorization of access to the Portuguese criminal record by the Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF - Servišo de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras);
8. Employment contract according to the Portuguese law (in case of work);
9. When it's relevant, a certificate of the professional statue (in case of work or study).

You can download the forms in English in the Foreigners and Borders Service page. You have the links below:

- Declaration of Entry
- Extension of Stay
- Authorization for Residence (with Visa)
- Authorization for Residence Card (Application/ Renewal/ Change in details/ 2nd. Sending) EU / EEA / Switzerland and Family Members
- Authorization for Residence dispensing with Residence Visa

There are several Immigration offices spread all over the country. The following document shows you the nearest.

You can contact us and we will do it for you! consulting Gmbh
A-1090 Vienna, L÷blichgasse 6/2G
consulting GmbH

+43 (1) 89 22 544
+43 (1) 30 88 133

+43 (1) 30 88 144