Contact | Terms and conditions | © copyright

Expatriate Management
Working in France
Working in Iceland
Working in Italy
Working in Latvia
Basic Facts
Staying in Latvia: Regulations for EU Citizens and Other Special Countries
Staying in Latvia: Regulations for Non-EU Citizens
Types of Visas to enter Latvia
Health Care System in Latvia
Education System in Latvia
Recognition of Foreign Qualifications in Latvia
Housing in Latvia
Tax System in Latvia
Investing in Latvia
Useful Links for Working in Latvia
Working in Macedonia
Working in Portugal
Working in Romania
Working in Spain
Working in Croatia
Working in Argentina
Working in Brazil
Working in Chile
Working in Japan
Working in Mexico
About consulting
Useful weblinks
Staying in Latvia: EU Citizens and Other Special Countries
On December 21, 2007 Latvia joined the Schengen Treaty, which allows the citizens of the member countries visa-free travel across the area. Thus, the citizens of European Union Member States, European Economic Areas States and the Swiss Confederation may stay in Latvia up to 90 days during a six-month period.

If a EU/EEA citizen wants to reside in Latvia for a longer period of time the document called a registration certificate will be needed. The mentioned person does not have to apply for a registration certificate in case of:

- looking for a job (he/she may stay in Latvia for a period of 6 months then),
- in case of education acquisition that lasts for maximum of one year period,
- if one works in Latvia, but lives in other EU country and travels there at least once a week.
Registration certificate  more
If a EU/EEA citizen has lived in Latvia for at least 5 years without an interruption, he/she has a right for receiving a permanent residence certificate more
The documents issued abroad are generally accepted in Latvian, Russian, English, German or French languages. In other case they have to be translated by an accredited interpreter and accordingly legalized.
consulting GmbH

+43 (1) 89 22 544
+43 (1) 30 88 133

+43 (1) 30 88 144