looking beyond borders...
Type of Visas
Visas are valid for the length of time stated on them, starting on the date of arrival in France.
There are very big differences between visas, about purpose and length of stay.
Which foreign nationals are exempt from this visa requirement? list
The main kinds of visa are:
1. Short-stay visa (visa de court séjour): valid for a maximum of 3 months and authorises its holder to circulate freely within Schengen area. This means that you can make as many entries to France as you wish during the validity of your visa, as long as you do not leave the Schengen Area. If you intend to leave and re-entry the Schengen Area, you have to ask for a multiple-entry short term visa!
2. Long-stay visa (visa de long séjour): valid for 3-6 months. After arriving in France you need to apply for a temporary stay permit (Carte de séjour temporaire) which will describe your status in France: visitor (visiteur), student (étudiant), private or family purposes (vie privée et familiale), employee (salarié), etc.
3. Temporary long-stay visa (Visa long séjour temporaire de six mois): valid up to 6 months, but you do not need to apply for temporary stay permit (Carte de séjour temporaire).
4. Short-stay 'student-examination' visa (Etudiant-concours) This visa is for students whose enrollment into an academic institution is conditional on an examination in France. If the enrolment is approved after a successful entry exam, you then have to apply for temporary stay permit (Carte de séjour temporaire).
5. Circulation visa (Visa de circulation): valid from one to five years and allows stays in France up to 3 months every six months.
6. Transit visa (visa de transit aéroportuaire) Nationals of some countries transiting France from one country to another must present this kind of visa. Be aware, processing times can be long, so apply well in advance.
What type of visa do I need to transit through an airport in France? more
Visas are never issued in France, so they must be applied for in your home or another country. Generally, you should apply for your visa 8-12 weeks before your planned date of arrival in France.
What type of Visa to apply for? more
+43 (1) 89 22 544
+43 (1) 30 88 133
+43 (1) 30 88 144