Contact | Terms and conditions | © copyright

Expatriate Management
Working in France
European Union citizens and other special countries
Non-EU citizens
Type of Visas
French Health Care System
Education System
Recognition of Professional Qualification
Housing in France
Tax System
Invest in France
Useful links
Working in Iceland
Working in Italy
Working in Latvia
Working in Macedonia
Working in Portugal
Working in Romania
Working in Spain
Working in Croatia
Working in Argentina
Working in Brazil
Working in Chile
Working in Japan
Working in Mexico
About consulting
Useful weblinks
Type of Visas

Visas are valid for the length of time stated on them, starting on the date of arrival in France.
There are very big differences between visas, about purpose and length of stay.

Which foreign nationals are exempt from this visa requirement? list

The main kinds of visa are:
1. Short-stay visa (visa de court séjour): valid for a maximum of 3 months and authorises its holder to circulate freely within Schengen area. This means that you can make as many entries to France as you wish during the validity of your visa, as long as you do not leave the Schengen Area. If you intend to leave and re-entry the Schengen Area, you have to ask for a multiple-entry short term visa!
2. Long-stay visa (visa de long séjour): valid for 3-6 months. After arriving in France you need to apply for a temporary stay permit (Carte de séjour temporaire) which will describe your status in France: visitor (visiteur), student (étudiant), private or family purposes (vie privée et familiale), employee (salarié), etc.
3. Temporary long-stay visa (Visa long séjour temporaire de six mois): valid up to 6 months, but you do not need to apply for temporary stay permit (Carte de séjour temporaire).
4. Short-stay 'student-examination' visa (Etudiant-concours) This visa is for students whose enrollment into an academic institution is conditional on an examination in France. If the enrolment is approved after a successful entry exam, you then have to apply for temporary stay permit (Carte de séjour temporaire).
5. Circulation visa (Visa de circulation): valid from one to five years and allows stays in France up to 3 months every six months.
6. Transit visa (visa de transit aéroportuaire) Nationals of some countries transiting France from one country to another must present this kind of visa. Be aware, processing times can be long, so apply well in advance.
What type of visa do I need to transit through an airport in France? more

Visas are never issued in France, so they must be applied for in your home or another country. Generally, you should apply for your visa 8-12 weeks before your planned date of arrival in France.

What type of Visa to apply for? more
Frequently asked questions

FAQ -Visas
consulting GmbH

+43 (1) 89 22 544
+43 (1) 30 88 133

+43 (1) 30 88 144